Monday, July 1, 2013

St Josephs Convent and Church



An important landmark in Kamptee is the St Josephs convent and the adjacent church.

I studied at this school. Yes, it is a convent and yes I am not a girl, but the Nuns allowed a few boys to study here, as there was no good boys schools in Kamptee. The school had a boarding where many girls from Bombay studied. You may think lucky me, but at that age who is interested in girls.

St Joseph's Primary School. This was my first and last school in Kamptee. When my younger brother, Mervyn, joined the school, I put him in his class line at the assembly, on his first day at school. I asked him to wait in that line, and joined my own class line.

When we had our recess two hours later, he was still standing there and had not joined his class. When asked why he was standing there he said, " You told me to wait here". You can't argue with that reasoning.


The grounds in front was where the school fair was held. I remember my Mom giving us 10 Paise each (USD  0.16 Cents, not even 1 cent). I spent my 10 Paise playing those games where you almost win, but never really win. Mervyn wanted to buy something to eat. I convinced him to let me play as we could win much more. Of course, I lost it all;  the guilt has never left me. Perhaps that is why I have never gambled or bought a lottery, after that.

The Principal was Sr Agatha, quite the strict type. I was glad to hear she is     well and now lives in Jabalpur.



Sister Rita Crasta who welcomed me on my visit is standing in front of my 5th grade classroom. My teacher was then Sr Winifred. Almost nothing has changed at the convent.

I also met Sr Maria Rose who gave me a book she had written of her life working in the slums. I will read it soon









Sr Marie Rose of St Joseph's Convent has written this book which she gave to me.




The Stage which was open-air in those days. Both Mervyn and I acted in plays on this stage.












The main building of St Joseph's Convent, Kamptee.












Kamptee Catholic Church adjacent to the School. 'The Church of Immaculate Conception'. I understand this is the oldest church in Central India built in the 1800's.












Mass Timings of the church












The priest house where I met the current Parish priest Fr Felix









The side walls of the church where we played marbles and the blue building behind where I went for Altar boys practice and where some brothers of the Parish lived. Was also an office.










Another view of the church showing the primary school too.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. I too was a boarder at this school. Grade 4 and 5. In the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have shifted from Nagpur to Kamptee & have built my house there
      You are welcome anytime
      Noel Dias
      9423683924

      Delete
  2. I was boarder in this school from my age of 4 I guess it was from 1970 to my 4th standard. The nuns and the staff were really very nice to me.i am looking for anyone who might have studied in this school from 1970.I am Tito Kurian. Please write to me if anyone remembers me or want to cantact me, hope to meet my good old buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s really great information for becoming a better Blogger. Keep sharing, Thanks. For more details to visit Top 10 school in Kamptee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am not really a blogger. But visiting where I grew up was important for me.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this trip down memory lane. I (Hermeet Kaur) was in the girls convent in 1986 or 1987 for a couple of years with my two sisters. Our care taker was Sister Fidelis.

    ReplyDelete